Spring top up of COVID-19 protection available from April

COVID vaccine

The COVID-19 spring vaccination programme gets under way on Monday 7 April, giving the more vulnerable members of our community the opportunity to top up their protection ahead of any potential waves of COVID-19 over the coming months.

This year’s spring vaccine will be offered to:

  • adults aged 75 years old or over;
  • residents in a care home;
  • individuals aged 6 months and over who are immunosuppressed, as defined in COVID-19: the green book, chapter 14a.

Rachel Spiers, Immunisation and Vaccination Programme Manager at the Public Health Agency (PHA), said: “During the autumn 2024 COVID-19 campaign, 251,587 people received a top up dose. The Spring COVID-19 vaccination campaign will start on 7 April and run until June. Based on expert advice, this programme aims to protect those considered most vulnerable from severe illness due to COVID-19 infection over the spring and summer, with the eligibility criteria remaining consistent with last year.

“Respiratory viruses like COVID-19 are still in circulation and can be life threatening for the most vulnerable people in society. Residents in older adult care homes, adults who are 75 or over and people who are immunosuppressed are particularly vulnerable to complications from COVID-19.

“It is important to keep up to date with your vaccines, as viruses change and protection fades over time.

“The best way to protect yourself and others is through vaccination. I would urge everyone who falls into an eligible group to take up the offer of free vaccination when available.”

All those eligible will be offered an appointment between April and June, with those at highest risk being called first. They will be invited to have the top up around six months from the last dose but it can be given from three months since the last dose.

Chief Medical Officer Professor Sir Michael McBride said: “It is important we remember COVID-19 is just not just a winter illness and even in spring and summer it remains dangerous for those considered most at risk, such as older adults, care home residents and those who are immunosuppressed.

“It is crucial we continue to protect the most vulnerable from COVID-19, ensuring they have protection against serious illness.

“I urge everyone who is eligible to protect yourself and others and take up the offer of free vaccination when available.”

The vaccines are being rolled out to eligible groups via GPs, community pharmacies and HSC Trusts.

Community pharmacies will be visiting care homes to vaccinate eligible residents.

People aged 75+ will receive an invite in due course from their GP surgery or they could enquire if the vaccine is available via a community pharmacy or HSC Trust clinic.

Immunosuppressed individuals aged 18 or over will receive their vaccination via GPs, community pharmacies and HSC Trusts.

Immunosuppressed individuals aged 6 months to 17 years of age, as identified by their GP or specialist, can receive their vaccine from HSC Trusts.

Housebound patients will be identified by GPs and the HSC Trust vaccination teams will administer vaccinations.

For further information on the spring top up see www.nidirect.gov.uk/covidvaccine